Who knows but that something wonderful may happen today. Have faith that it will. After all, every morning is a chance at a new day! -Marjorie Pay Hinckley


Monday, April 18, 2011

Terrible Twos?


Lauren is a funny girl. She is very quiet and reserved, sometimes goofy and silly, but then also at times very loud (especially her screams) and not afraid to let her opinion be known. If she doesn't like it, she'll let you know! She can throw a fit like none other that I have seen before. Seriously. For example, the other day I decided to wash her blankies. I knew this could potentially cause a tantrum, so when she wasn't looking I snuck her blankies downstairs and threw them in the washer. Well, all was well until about five minutes into the wash cycle and she realized her blankies were missing. Oh my. She started screaming and crying and ran downstairs crying, "No! No! Don't wash my blankies!" She screamed and cried for the rest of the wash cycle. She'd stand up to try and open the lid to the washer, and then when she couldn't open it she'd throw herself down on the floor in defeat. For the first five or ten minutes I found it mildly entertaining (see above picture that I took with my phone), but then it just got a bit rediculous. She didn't stop until the wash cycle was finished and I moved the blankies to the dryer and she realized they were wet. She settled down long enough for me to tell her she could have them back when they were finished drying. I guess she felt okay with that because the fit finally ended. Thank goodness! Anyway, these sorts of tantrums occur at the rate of three or four a week and some days are worse than others. When we're home I just let her throw her fit in her room, but things get more difficult when we're say at the grocery store or when we're trying to get her dressed for church and she does NOT want to wear a dress. I'm hoping that these tantrums are a phase and she'll eventually grow out of it. In the meantime, we'll just keep plugging along. :-)

7 comments:

Mallory said...

=( I hope she grows out of it sooner than later! I guess tantrums teach us as mothers extreme patience, right?

Carol said...

Dealing with fits is one of my least favorite parts of parenting...but it sounds like you're doing a fabulous job! Lauren looks so big...it's been way too long since we've seen you guys. Hooray for this summer.

Laura and crew said...

I'm always impressed that you remain so patient. I think you're the perfect mother that Lauren needs to help her overcome (or wait out) this phase.

Williams Family said...

Luckily Lauren is so adorable it makes the more difficult times more bearable. Hopefully this stage will pass quickly.

Stephanie Pulham said...

It is a phase. Alicia went through one similarly impressive phase, and I sure was glad when she did finally grow out of it. Somehow when they do settle down and smile, it makes it all worth it though.

The Byrd Family said...

I'm so sorry! She is as adorable as anything, but these fits can be wearing on you, I'm sure! Hopefully in a few months, you'll be blogging about unbelievably pleasant and easy going she is :)

Nicole said...

Such a cute girl. It will go by so quickly....honestly, we're pulling out baby things we havent used in 5 years wondering WHERE 5 years have gone. Wait until they hit 5 and look like grade schoolers and all of a sudden you'll cry missing those "terrible two's".
But the phases are difficult when you're in them. Call me in 6 months :-)