As many of you know my mom passed away in August of 2007 and that my dad was re-married in June of last year (2009). This transition and the major changes in my family over the past two and a half years has been difficult at times...to say the least. ;-) Thankfully, my dad married someone who is kind, easy going, understanding and patient with my sister (MaLeesa) and I as we figure out our place in this new family and at the same time try and hold on tight to the family we had before my mom died. I've discovered that one thing that helps ease the transition for me is to spend some face to face time with my dad, his wife (Alane) and her family and MaLeesa and her family. Every time I spend a weekend with my dad and my sister I'm reminded that even though my family is changing it hasn't gone anywhere. My dad is
still my dad and he
still loves me. My sister and I are
still his "girls"...phew! I know this must sound silly, but it's very refreshing at a time when my "family" as I've always known it has sometimes felt threatened. The good news is that I'm beginning to feel open to and welcome the changes in my family and I'm truly grateful my dad has found someone he loves who loves him too. Wow! Did I actually just say that?!? Yes, that's definitely progress for me to be feeling this way. I am grateful for a heart that is softening...slowly, but surely.
Anyway, what prompted this thought process was we spent this past weekend in Spokane at my dad's house. MaLeesa and John live in Spokane so we were able to see them as well as Alane's daughters Amanda and Kristina (and her family). It was a very nice weekend and really great to spend time with everyone. On Saturday we celebrated Sam and Malachi's birthday. They're a year apart almost to the day. Anyway, here are the few pictures I took. I only have pics from the b-day party...
Saturday was Malachi's actual birthday, but Sam got to get in on the birthday fun too.
Lauren and Araceli...they're only three weeks apart.
My cute sister and her family. Love them!
Antonio, MaLeesa, Araceli, Ammon, John and Malachi
7 comments:
I'm so glad you posted this. It was just what I needed today. I'm glad you went to Spokane so you could have some face to face.
JaNeece! Oh my goodness. I didn't know this transition had been so hard. I mean, I kinda knew but not really. Well, I'm glad things are on the up and up.
Is that really Antonio?!?! He's a man! Oh I miss that family. Please tell them hello from us.
Remember when Antonio was just a little guy and couldn't really talk, but all he said on the phone was, "Neece, Lion King" ?? Cute.
wow janeece, i can't even imagine how this has been for you. life gives us many experiences for a reason. i've learned that from niles being the bishop over the past almost 3 years. we are what our life experience makes us.
btw, your kids are adorable!!!!!
Dear JaNeece, I am smiling. My heart is soothed that you have found some peace in this experience. I love you. I love how totally devoted you are. I love that your heart is open to things that you wouldnt have personally chosen. And I love that you recognize your "progress". Consider yourself hugged and thank you for sharing this. It make me want to open my heart a little more too.
Ok, this is crazy that I never noticed it, but Paul's little boy, also named Sam, just had his birthday!! Only his Sam turned 4. So the two Sams are almost exactly one year appart. The also look similar! (Second cousins!!)
JaNeece, you are truly such a beautiful person. I am so grateful to know you!
Post a Comment